Re: git advice needed

From: John E. Malmberg <wb8tyw_at_qsl.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 18:15:29 -0500

On 8/7/2013 8:38 AM, Kamil Dudka wrote:

> $ git fetch origin
> $ git reset --hard origin/master

That worked.

> If you have some local changes you want to preserve, it would be better to
> commit them first and then merge or rebase your local branch against upstream.

This directory tree is just used to make a format-patch file. The local
changes are in a different directory tree.

Once the patch has been applied or rejected by the curl maintainers, I
just need it to be the same as a fresh checkout from the curl git
repository.

On 8/7/2013 8:27 AM, Fredrik Gustafsson wrote:
> What is git-patch? AFAIK it's not a standard git tool. I suggest you
> use git format-patch for generating patches.

I meant to type git format-patch.

>> When I try to see what the conflicts are, there are no visible
>> differences in the files. I do not know if that is a feature of the
>> cygwin implementation of git or what.
>
> It's probably a problem with lineendings (I guess you're on a windows
> platform). See:
> https://help.github.com/articles/dealing-with-line-endings

Cygwin uses line-feeds for line endings. And I have verified that all
files involved use line-feeds for line endings.

I am trying to learn git, but at the present time, I use it so
infrequently that much of the learning gets lost between times.

Thank you for your help and patience.

Regards,
-John
wb8tyw_at_qsl.network