Windows "application was unable to start correctly"

From: Dustin Oprea <myselfasunder_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 18:14:59 -0400

I'm just trying to do a really simple integration of libcurl on Windows.
However, the moment my code tries to invoke libcurl, I get a dialog that
says "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK
to close the application." I saw somewhere that this error-code corresponds
to an image problem. I'm running a 64-bit environment, but the project is
configured as 32-bit. I've tried building as both release and debug as well
as both 32-bit and 64-bit, but I get the same results.

I created the project via the following steps:

> I create an empty console project in Visual Studio (I've tried 2008,
2010, 2012).
> I paste the code for the "simple" example (simple.c) into a file named
"main.c".
> I add the DLL import library to the project, and the "include/" path as
the include-path.
> I copy the DLLs into the output directory.

I then build, which is [obviously] successful. However, executing always
produces the error (above).

I have no idea what the problem is. Does anyone have experience with usage
of libcurl under Windows? If nothing else, can someone provide me a
template project?

If I can't get this working, I'll have no choice but to finish writing my
own client. Obviously, I don't want to deal with that when all I'm having
is a binding problem.

Dustin Oprea