Re: curl_global_init performance

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:20:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013, Tim Ruehsen wrote:

>> Exactly how long time are we actually talking about here, the specific
>> SSL_load_error_strings() call I mean?
>
> Wow, that's a "manager" question ;-)

Hey, I am _managing_ this project!

The question can possibly instead be phrased: is this really an issue that is
worth working on? This isn't a new issue, libcurl has worked like this
basically since forever and yet you're the first person to bring this up and
put the lights on it. It kind of implies that it isn't a huge concern "out
there". We also support about 9 other SSL backends, so you could easily avoid
this particular problem by switching to another without needing any code
changes.

I meant how much time does it take exactly on your system in your test case
that you wrote us about. I think it makes sense since if you're mailing us
about something that takes too long time (== my interpreation of what you
said), then I'm interested in knowing what too long time is for you.

Of course the wall clock time will vary depending on a lot of factors but
that's another matter.

If you want something to change in libcurl, I need it motivated. I want to be
convinced it is worthwhile to spend energy on.