Re: best practices: c-ares vs threaded resolver

From: Gisle Vanem <gvanem_at_broadpark.no>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 18:46:57 +0200

"m brandenberg" <mcbinc_at_panix.com> wrote:

> So these and other issues make me want to use the system resolver
> library. When it fails, there's a general system/network
> configuration issue that doesn't become a support issue for us.

I tend to agree. The systems resolver seems alway to work best
for me. At least when I use a VPN. Then (without messing with my routing-
table, C-ares is using the default interface which doesn't work). I whish
there could be a config-file similar to '/etc/resolv.conf' for C-ares/Win.

Besides the new C-ares functions for specifying DNS addr/iface that's
recently been added to curl does nothing on Windows; '--dns-interface'
boils down to 'setsockopt (..SO_BINDTODEVICE)' and '--dns-ipvX-addr'
boils down to a 'bind(..ipvX-addr)' which AFAICS is useful only for those
running a DNS-server locally. I doesn't do any good on my Winsock. The
'--dns-ipvX-addr' option should IMHO be used to specify what DNS-server
to connect to.

--gv