Re: Migration away from SourceForge?

From: Václav Zeman <vhaisman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 15:08:23 +0200

On 24 October 2013 12:18, Jeffrey Walton <noloader_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 5:19 AM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Oct 2013, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>>
>>> Would it be possible to migrate away from SourceForge? Or at least put it
>>> on the roadmap for debate?
>>

>> I would like that as well since I find sourceforge quite annoying these
>> days. We only use the trackers (bugs and feature-requests) on sourceforge
>> now, so the migration would only be to move away to something else without
>> losing data. And of course make sure that the new destination isn't worse
>> than what we have now and have a likelihood of surviving a bunch of years.
>>
>> I just don't think it is of importance enough to spend much of my own time
>> on it so unless someone else steps up and do most of the work it won't
>> happen in a while.
>>
> Dr. Bernstein also indirectly endorses moving away from Sourceforge:
> Cryptography Worst Practices,
> http://secappdev.org/lectures/144. See around 88 minutes.
>
> Things may have changed (and that whole talk is interesting if you get
> the time).
The talk was indeed very interesting. What I took from it in relation
to security of SourceForge is this: I have tested what that bit with
the /develop page and it is no longer redirecting to HTTP. Also, what
makes you think that, say, GitHub is any better?

Not that I care where will the Curl project host its code or bug
trackers or pages. I am just trying to point out that you should
change the service provider for the right reasons and with distinct
benefit compensating for the effort and lost continuity.

--
VZ