Re: Reading gmail with imap unsuccessful on Win32

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 09:52:58 +0200

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 11:29:22AM +1000, Mark Hessling wrote:
> I've been trying to use libcurl to read email on GMail via imap using
> Rexx/CURL. Under Linux this works without problems, however under
> Windows it fails.
>
> The curl executable exhibits the same behaviour as Rexx/CURL so I'm
> confident it's not Rexx/CURL, but it still may be a user error :-)
>
> Below is the comparitive verbose output from listing new email
> messages on my GMail account.
>
> The certificate file I specified for Windows used was copied from my
> Linux machine, and I've also tried specifying the cacert.pem file
> downloaded from curl.haxx.se.

The big difference I see is that the working one makes an IPv6 connection to
the IMAP server, while the non-working trace shows an attempt to make an IPv4
connection, which doesn't succeed. Is there an IPv4 connectivity problem on
that machine? Is there a firewall in the way that is blocking connections
to that port? Does an IMAPS connection work with other software?

>>> Dan