Re: Reading gmail with imap unsuccessful on Win32

From: Mark Hessling <mark_at_rexx.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 19:31:30 +1000

On 26/10/13 17:52, Dan Fandrich wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 11:29:22AM +1000, Mark Hessling wrote:
>> I've been trying to use libcurl to read email on GMail via imap using
>> Rexx/CURL. Under Linux this works without problems, however under
>> Windows it fails.
>>
>> The curl executable exhibits the same behaviour as Rexx/CURL so I'm
>> confident it's not Rexx/CURL, but it still may be a user error :-)
>>
>> Below is the comparitive verbose output from listing new email
>> messages on my GMail account.
>>
>> The certificate file I specified for Windows used was copied from my
>> Linux machine, and I've also tried specifying the cacert.pem file
>> downloaded from curl.haxx.se.
> The big difference I see is that the working one makes an IPv6 connection to
> the IMAP server, while the non-working trace shows an attempt to make an IPv4
> connection, which doesn't succeed. Is there an IPv4 connectivity problem on
> that machine? Is there a firewall in the way that is blocking connections
> to that port? Does an IMAPS connection work with other software?
Hi Dan,

No IPV4 connectivity problems on the Windows machine.
Firewall was on but I turned it off; same result.
I installed Thunderbird on the Windows machine, configured it to connect
via IMAP and SSL, also via port 993; no problems; could read the email.

Also ran the Linux test with curl -4 to force IPV4 and it also succeeded.
Also tried with curl -6 on the Windows machine, but the curl.exe I have
does not have IPV6 support built in.

Thanks, Mark