RE: Reading gmail with imap unsuccessful on Win32

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 12:45:30 +0100

Hi Mark,

On Sat, 26 Aug 2013, Mark Hessling wrote:

> So I tried leaving the password off the command line and entered
> the password manually. Same result as the original problem.
>
> Seems that my password triggers some issue in the Windows code,
> but NOT in the Linux code.
>
> I have tracked it down to a semi-colon in my password. Here are the
> results of various combinations:

Ah yes, passwords with semi colons will cause issues just like user names
with colons in them do - as the semi colon is used as a separator in the
user string to indicate login options.

The reason you were seeing a difference Linux and Windows is that the Linux
build was v7.30.0 (which doesn't support login options) and the Windows
build was v7.33.0 (which does).

With the latest code base I get a " curl: (3) URL using bad/illegal format
or missing URL" error which is what I would have expected as the login
option are then considered invalid - However, it seems that the SSL connect
bug that I fixed recently is more wide spread and LOGOUT would be sent even
if imap_connect() returned failure before the protocol layer was considered
established which it doesn't now.

Kind Regards

Steve