RE: Question about some platform updates to Windows

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 22:40:44 +0000

On Tue, 05 Nov 2013, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> > What would you recommend regarding the gmtime_r versus gmtime_s issue?
> > Under Visual Studio, gmtime_s can be used to implement gmtime_r, but
> > not, say, MinGW unless you're on Windows Vista or later due to the
msvcrt.dll
> > version. Should I just implement gmtime_r in Windows myself, using
Win32's
> > FileTimeToSystemTime and a bit of arithmetic? This would work on all
> > compilers.
>
> I'm not the proper person to give advice on how to polish things for
windows.

My apologies if I have misunderstood things in my rather quick catch up of
this thread but I would be interested to know if: These polishes are code
changes (in terms of better APIs that we could use, etc...), or compilation
settings, or a mixture of the two?

If they are compilation settings then these could be implemented via any of
the following:

A) VC12 specific alternations to the cmake config files
B) The introduction of a makefile.vc12
C) I talked with Daniel some months ago about bringing my Visual Studio
project files into the curl project. They not allow side-by-side building of
curl and libcurl against VC7.1 (Visual Studio .NET 2003), VC8 (2005), VC9
(2008) and VC10 (2010) so that no one build overwrites another build - In
this respect the project folder structure is based on those used by the
Apache's Xerces-C and Xalan projects (and possibly others), but my
configurations also allow for SSPI builds, OpenSSL builds, the use of
libSSH2, the usual debug and release builds, 32-bit builds, 64-bit builds as
well as static and dynamic libcurl builds with curl being able to use
either. The only drawback to these at the moment I have to manually update
the files when a new .c | .h file gets added, removed or renamed - I hope to
write a perl scripts that does this for me based on a template file but this
has taken a bit of a back burner at the moment!

Kind Regards

Steve