Re: libcurl custom dns not failing (when bad dns ip configured with CURLOPT_DNS_SERVERS )

From: Stefan Rogin <stefan.rogin2000_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 09:26:03 +0200

Update:

Forgot to mention I was using a http proxy, and as I found out (
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2006-01/0133.html) it is expected behavior, as
the name resolution is done by the proxy server.

A feature that could allow local dns would be nice:
for example:

   1. set url "http://site.com/page" and dns "8.8.8.8"
   2. curl would first resolve the site.com to 123.123.123.123
   3. forward the url to the proxy as "http://123.123.123.123/page" and
   with the request-url set to "http://site.com/page" (dose http proxy
   support this? could the CONNECT command be used if available?) as with
   shared hosting an IP is not enough to get the requested domain page.

Is this possible, if not as a feature at least as a workaround?
I've found that I could use CURLOPT_RESOLVE to manually set the name
resolved, but I guess as the name resolution is done by the proxy,
curl doesn't get a chance to do it's magic.

So in my case am I stuck using the proxy's dns?.