Re: CURLMOPT_MAX_TOTAL_CONNECTIONS vs CURLMOPT_MAX_HOST_CONNECTIONS

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 16:23:28 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014, Stefano D. Mtangoo wrote:

> Can someone enlighten me as to whats actual difference functionally?
> AFAICS it looks same functionally but then why would both exist?

CURLMOPT_MAXCONNECTS

   The maximum amount of connections that libcurl may hold in its connection
   cache. The connection cache being the pool of connections to hold open after
   use for subsequent transfers to possibly re-use for faster operations.

CURLMOPT_MAX_TOTAL_CONNECTIONS

   The maximum amount of simultaneously open connections in total. This means
   that if you add more handles to a multi handle than this amount, libcurl
   will queue them up internally and not really start them until one of the
   previously added ones are completed so that the total number of connections
   is kept below this set number.

They are thus related to each other but quite different.