RE: Issue with IMAP UID FETCH

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 16:19:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 9 Apr 2014, Steve Holme wrote:

>> Studying this issue, i also noticed that curl implements the FETCH request
>> as FETCH n BODY[...] while the rfc5092 requires a BODY.PEEK, in detail
>
> That was a decision we made just over a year ago. We could change it to be a
> PEEK but then we would need a way of performing a normal BODY which then
> sets the \Seen flag. If we were to have custom requests as overrides to
> their respective commands rather than as a way of performing overrides of a
> LIST command then the custom request could be used to override that FETCH
> behaviour.
>
> My only worry, and I would like Daniel's and other's input here is regarding
> backwards compatibility both at a curl and libcurl level!!

Backwards compatibility is a dear subject to me and I want us to preserve that
as far as possible.

But this could also be seen as a bug since we're actually trying to adhere to
specs and standards, such as RFC 5092 and I don't think this is an established
behavior used by a large user base - so in this case I would be fine with
changing the behavior if you guys think it is a good idea.

I personally don't use curl for IMAP on regular basis, I just wrote the
initial implementation! =)