Re: curl 7.36.0, ./configure

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 22:44:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014, Dilyan Palauzov wrote:

> I compile the software on my system 100% on my own, so I run ./configure
> --help on everything and can scan the output very fast. Autoconf defines
> internally the meaning of --with-PACKAGE and --without-PACKAGE, and
> --enable-FEATURE / --disable-FEATURE. You could assume, that the one
> invoking ./configure is aware of the principles, and mention only on of
> --with-X / --without-X (merely, the one which is not default and which is
> not auto-detected).

Fair enough, can you make a patch for it and show us how it would look?

> I see that there is no output for the symbol-hiding; versioned symbols;
> compiler optimizations; coocies; list of protocols, which are supported by
> curl, but which will not be compiled in. In these particular cases, the
> summary is not sufficient.

I didn't mean to imply that the summary would include every possible build
alternative. It really can't and won't.

> I cannot find documentation how the --enable-optimize option works, neither
> by running ./configure nor by looking in doc/INSTALL.

I'm sure there are a whole bunch of configure options that are only documented
in the configure --help output and not elsewhere. I don't even know the best
spot to document them... Ideally, the configure --help output should be made
clear enough I think.