Re: Trailing dot in FQDN TLS SNI/HTTP HostName

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 13:51:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014, Leon Winter wrote:

> While I agree with the idea of normalizing the domain name as a first step,
> we need to take the higher level protocols into consideration. Every
> protocol on top of TLS can cause problems. Considering HTTP let us look into
> RFC 2616 section 3.2.2 [0]:

I actually can't think of any reason to keep the trailing dot. If the URL is
to be passed to the proxy like when doing HTTP over a proxy, that dot won't be
stripped off.

I'm leaning towards committing a change that normalizes the host name for all
uses (except in the full URL sent over a http proxy) - and see if anyone
reports any problems. Normalize in the way that it strips off one single
trailing dot if there is one. My basic local testing hasn't shown any
problems. See attachment for the patch.

Anyone who objects?