Re: How to upload file as CouchDB attachment via libCurl

From: Lane <software.research.development_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 19:23:59 -0500

Let me clarify. What I consider an attachment, or what CouchDB considers an
attachment is a file to the field. So _attachments is the json objects
field, and the file would be the data to that field. As in my example,
you’ll see the command line …

curl -X POST 'http://localhost:5984/students' -H 'Content-Type:
application/json' -d '{

    "first":"John", "last":"Doe", "age":"20", "_attachments": {

        "john.txt": {

            "content-type": "text/plain",

            "data": "'$(openssl base64 < /tmp/john_file.txt)'"

        }

    }

}'

I have no issues building the json stream. the code that says // build json
stream here. That works, it was just a lot to write out.
So that curl command works on the command line and does exactly what I
want. What I don’t understand is how to upload the part within parenthesis,
the actual file. I.e., $(openssl base64 < filename). This line converts the
file to base64, then curl uploads it. That's the part I don't understand
with the API or to build into the app to upload the file as part of the
json object. And yes, its a huge file.

Thanks for the other stuff, I'll leave out the redundancy as well as the
expect and charset lines. They worked, but I'll try w/o them.

If its worth a look, I was trying to do inline attachments from this link
which allows to add the json object and the attachment.

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_Document_API#Attachments