Re: difference between winsock and libcurl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 12:45:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 4 Jun 2014, chamburger1_at_aol.com wrote:

>> you *can* do that with libcurl too, but experience tells me that doing that
>> (for Windows developers) tends to end up in tears due to miniscule build
>> differences in the built lib and the app you build
>
> Any tips on how to reduce those minuscule differences?

*I* don't but I'm not the right person to ask not to work on that since I'm
not really fluent in Windows land, but those "minuscule differences" tend to
be different memory management options etc (as I understand it) that you
really can't magically fix afterwards but you have to have them set correct at
build time.

> Everywhere I've looked for I for on building or using cmake to compile a
> library isn't as straight as I need.

Just a word of caution: do not use cmake to build libcurl. Those build files
are not kept up-to-date and are subject for removal soon.

You say you use "gcc" on windows. Is that mingw? Can't you then just use the
configure way of building? configure + make ?