Re: dead connections are not cleaned up on new requests

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 17:20:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014, Frank Meier wrote:

> I've realized that dead/half-open connections (that are in the TIME_WAIT
> state) in the connection cache are not cleaned up (closed) when new requests
> are triggered. In fact they are only cleaned up if a new request to the same
> host is conducted. I tested this with quite recent versions >=7.36.0 and
> git. In an earlier versions (e.g 7.28 I know it's ancient) all dead
> connections where closed upon a new request.

Yes, that's an unfortunate side-effect of the modified connection cache in
7.30.0 I believe. It has been discussed before but nobody has stepped up to do
the necessary work.

The new logic never scans through the whole connection cache like it did
before - for performance reasons - so we would need some additional logic and
perhaps conditionals introduced for this.
> Is there another way to get rid of the half-open connections, or is this a
> bug?

It is a bug that's still present.