Mac symbol not found: _ber_free

From: Robotic-Brain <curl_at_roboticbrain.de>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 03:03:52 +0200

Hi,

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8, which comes with libcurl 6.
Unfortunately I need libcurl 7 for some program, so I tried compiling it
myself.

The first problem was, that the program in question still runs on 32bit
and my processor is 64bit so i compiled curl with:

CFLAGS=-m32 ./configure

Now the problem is, that I'm getting this error on launch:

failed to dlopen ..../engine.dylib error=dlopen(...../engine.dylib, 2):
Symbol not found: _ber_free
   Referenced from: /usr/lib/libcurl.4.dylib
   Expected in: flat namespace
  in /usr/lib/libcurl.4.dylib
  failed to dlopen engine.dylib error=dlopen(engine.dylib, 2): Symbol not
found: _ber_free
   Referenced from: /usr/lib/libcurl.4.dylib
   Expected in: flat namespace
  in /usr/lib/libcurl.4.dylib

How can I solve this?
(FYI "make test" reported no errors)