Re: getpwuid_r on Solaris and _POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS

From: Tor Arntsen <kspt.tor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 15:05:04 +0200

On 13 July 2014 09:33, Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com> wrote:
> The Solaris builds failed overnight because their default getpwuid_r uses four
> arguments instead of the POSIX standard 5. They do provide a POSIX-conformant
> version if you compile with the macro _POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS set. We could do
> a getnameinfo-style configure check on the number of arguments available, or
> just force Solaris to compile with _POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS. Since this is a
> standards-conforming function and Solaris does actually provide it, I would
> rather set the macro, but could there be any other bad side effects of doing
> so for the whole curl build?

Maybe we could simply just give it a try (after the upcoming release),
follow the autobuilds, and see how it works? I guess maybe Yang may
have some input on this, he did a lot of work with the autoconfig,
also for Solaris.
I have been reading the manpages, as an alternative to setting
_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS there's also the more global option of
setting _POSIX_C_SOURCE to a value >= 199506L
but I'm not sure how that would work out (although I do that in some
of my own code).

-Tor