libcurl 7.37.1 and OpenSSL 1.0.1h: crashes on initialization on certain Windows 7 systems

From: Ulrich Telle <Ulrich.Telle_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 20:34:29 +0200
In my Windows application I use libcurl together with OpenSSL for network connectivity.

Recently I upgraded to libcurl 7.37.1 and OpenSSL 1.0.1h. Now my application doesn't start anymore, but terminates immediately with a process exit code of 1 (0x1) without showing any error message. However, this happens only on certain Windows 7 system, namely Windows 7 Enterprise 32-Bit and 64-Bit. The same application properly starts on Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit and 64-Bit.

The application exits during executing curl_global_init, that is, function curl_global_init does not return. I suspect that the problem is related to OpenSSL, although I'm not sure about that.

In the previous version of my application which used libcurl 7.37.0 and OpenSSL 1.0.1g I did not experience such problems.

Has anybody come across the same kind of problem? Has anybody an idea how to track down what exactly is causing this problem and how to solve it? Or should I revert to the prior versions which worked flawlessly?

Regards,

Ulrich
--
E-Mail privat:  Ulrich.Telle@gmx.de