Re: libcurl 7.37.1 and OpenSSL 1.0.1h: crashes on initialization on certain Windows 7 systems [solved]

From: Ulrich Telle <Ulrich.Telle_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 11:34:26 +0200

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014, Ulrich Telle wrote:
>
> > Replacing the line
> >
> > OPENSSL_config(NULL);
> >
> > by the patch (which is also used in the current libcurl trunk)
> >
> > CONF_modules_load_file(NULL, NULL, CONF_MFLAGS_DEFAULT_SECTION|CONF_MFLAGS_IGNORE_MISSING_FILE);
> >
> > solved the problem.
>
> Lovely! And just some additional information: I've filed a bug report against
> OpenSSL for that behavior as I believe it is wrong and not documented to work
> like that:
>
> http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=3488

Yes, the function definitely does not work as documented.

Additionally I fully agree with you that a library should never ever
call "exit()". Throwing an exception or returning an error code would
be appropriate. It's the task of the main application to decide whether
it is possible to recover from such an error or to terminate and to
display an appropriate error message. Silently terminating an
application is not an option.

Regards,

Ulrich

--