Re: Files in repo with mixed line endings

From: Ray Satiro <raysatiro_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 12:41:54 -0400

On 9/13/2014 8:07 AM, Marc Hoersken wrote:
> On 12.09.2014 um 10:25 Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Sep 2014, Ray Satiro wrote:
>>
>>> Attached is a patch which changes all CRLF line endings to LF in the
>>> three scripts with mixed line endings.
>> Thanks! Diffs are really bad at handling newlines so this patch
>> doesn't really apply easily - but I could still do the changes you
>> identified there and I've now pushed that change.
>>
> But why did you apply the patch? Those files had CRLF line endings on
> purpose and git automatically converting everything to CRLF is a
> user-specific setting.
> I personally do not like it and work with the original line endings in
> order to avoid git messing up some files.

It's not just user specific it's the default for most Windows git users.
As I said the files had mixed line endings, for example a\nb\nc\r\nd\n.
As far as I can tell it was inadvertent. Those files won't convert [1]
for the majority of Windows users when the line endings are mixed.
Nothing I proposed changed files that are all CRLF or purposely mixed,
like the test data.

[1]: An exception would be Visual Studio which can detect and convert
some mixed line endings.