RE: Zero-copy CURLOPT_WRITEFUNCTION/CURLOPT_READFUNCTION

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:12:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014, Pashupati Kumar wrote:

> Are people using CURL library for storage traffic?

I'm sure people have used libcurl for just about any purpose that involves
network data transfers. I don't think "storage traffic" is much different than
a lot of other traffic, network and protocol wise I mean.

>>> Can libcurl use scatter-gather buffers?
>> No.
> Has this been considered before?

Not that I can recall, no. At least it hasn't ever gotten very far.

> Since Socket layer provide iovec based interface, will it be a huge change
> in the CURL library to expose it all the way to user?

Yes, it would be a pretty big change I'd say. And in lots of cases it still
couldn't be used, like when SSL, SSH or HTTP2 are involved... and possibly
some more cases.