Re: PATCH: new patch to support http messages over UDP

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 16:36:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014, KALLEL Mohamed wrote:

> I want to add the support of sending http messages over UDP to libcurl.

What are you talking to in the other end? I know there have been talks about
doing HTTP over UDP but I'm curious about the implementation situation among
servers.

> Please let me know if my patch is OK? and If you are going to merge it to
> the mainline? and in what version will be delivered?

Let's take one step at a time and see where we end up!

First, you merged two rather independent changes into a single patch and
that's not a good idea. Especially since I strongly dislike the second part -
the DISABLE_RECEIVE thing. You need to provide a convincing argument why we
would want that.

Then, your patch doesn't come with any documentation or test cases even though
it introdces a new option (and we really can't have that unless you have a
really good excuse to avoid it). I take it you have run your own tests against
something and verified that this actually works exactly like it does when
using TCP? What happens when you send (really) large requests?

The name of the option. CURLOPT_UDP_CONNECT sounds like an oxymoron to me. UDP
doesn't "connect" at all in the first place. Your code explicitly use this to
send HTTP over UDP so shouldn't the option name say that? Like for example
CURLOPT_HTTP_OVER_UDP ? Or possibly if we would allow it for other protocols
too, CURLOPT_USE_UDP ? CURLOPT_FORCE_UDP?