Broken name resolution in XBMC with threaded resolver

From: Alessandro Ghedini <alessandro_at_ghedini.me>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 14:45:23 +0200

Hello,

I received a bug report regarding broken name resolution in XBMC when using curl
7.38.0 built with threaded resolver [0] (git master is also affected).
Essentially, it seems that all the attempts at resolving names fail.

I did a git bisect and the bug was introduced by cacdc27 so I reverted it (along
with 3c8c873) and the problem went away.

Now, I can't seem to be able to produce a minimal test case, and XBMC is a
pretty huge beast so I wouldn't really know where to start to debug this, any
suggestion is appreciated.

If you have XBMC installed and linked to libcurl built with threaded support
(e.g. the xbmc package on Debian sid), you can reproduce this by starting XBMC,
going in the "Programs" section and then clicking on "Get More...". In theory a
list of plugins should appear, but with this bug nothing does (assuming the xbmc
cache under ~/.xbmc is empty).

Cheers

[0] https://bugs.debian.org/762014