Re: Failures while building on cygwin

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 15:16:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014, Michael Osipov wrote:

> I was finally able to make some progress on the issue. I have installed git
> with cygwin, so CR problems anymore. Though the following is still open:
>
> 1. docs/INSTALL [1] says that a mere configure is sufficient.
> Unfortunately it is not. You need to pass --host=mingw32 otherwise
> it won't execute ar correctly and some other stuff will fail.
> Should I provide a PR?

That surprises me a bit. The Cygwin project itself seems to offer curl 7.37.1
packages so at least some people keep building curl with cygwin. Doesn't
--host=mingw32 imply some sort of cross-compile?

Did you use the configure script from the 7.38.0 release archive or did you
generate your own from git?

> 2. make install still throws sed errors like:
> sed: -e expression #1, char 3: unknown command: `.'
> I was able to tackle at least one to docs/libcurl/opts/Makefile.in:700:
> Unfortunately, I have no idea what is wrong with that expression.

The Makefile.in files are generated by automake, and if that's the file from
the source archive it was made by automake 1.14.1 on my machine... The error
looks strange too since character 3 is just a dot that is escaped with a
backslash, nothing odd! I don't understand it.