Re: rtsp authentication not working

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 13:50:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014, Erik Janssen wrote:

> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.curl.library/32043
>
> This e-mail to plead for inclusion of this fix in the library itself. With
> authentication-support libcurl is much nicer than live555, and simpler than
> gstreamer, for use with IP video cameras. Without, it is not useable. Why
> has it never been integrated?

I think it was never integrated primarily because nobody was around and pushed
hard enough for it. We basically always have more work and stuff in the queue
than what we have time for so if someone drops a ball it gets lost in the
stream and we may never find it again. It happens all the time. Persistance
and patience are keys.

Other common reasons include that we don't get good enough code, lack
documentation and don't get tests for new things. RTSP of course generally
lack in the test department and this patch was no exception which makes me
more careful when considering code changes.

Looking at that old thread now, it seems I didn't get a very good answer to
the 401/407 treatment and that disturbs me. Why is the second patch necessary?