Re: Caching

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 00:29:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014, William Grim wrote:

Sorry for taking a while to respond.

> I was just going to do very basic caching, storing downloaded assets onto
> disk in an area the user specifies. Or, with regard to public
> Cache-Control, I would use a common area like "/tmp" or some other place
> that syscalls tell me where the temp dir is or some other user-defined env
> var or something. I haven't decided storage locations really.

Right. I would prefer a system that "hooks in" into libcurl to allow caching
get done and handled, to as far as possible make libcurl avoid having to work
directly with files etc. In the same way we already have callbacks and options
for things.

> Okay, anything I create and pass back to libcurl will be the RFC-compliant
> portions then. However, on the topic of the HTTP RFC, rfc2616 is the
> original, closed version of the RFC. Are you referring to rfc723x? I
> admit I have not read it, but I will do that and try to follow its guidance.

Yes I do. RFC 723x is the cleaned up and clarified series that replace RFC
2616. They don't change anything but clear up lots of confusions and hard to
understand corners.

> Also, I take it that your preferred method of proposed submissions be in the
> form of GH pull requests?

We prefer to get patches posted here on the list so everyone can review,
comment, test and offer feedback. But please make them with git, as it makes
them easier to apply and it makes things easier for you in your end when you
want to update a patch collection.