Re: SFTP problems

From: Ray Satiro <raysatiro_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:45:29 -0400

On 10/21/2014 8:55 AM, Guenter wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
> On 21.10.2014 13:35, Daniel Karunairatnam wrote:
>> is it the 3.34MB file under win32-generic on this page?
>> http://curl.haxx.se/download.html
>> are you running windows 8?
>>
>> and if it is that file. how do I compile the example code? there is no
>> libcurl.lib file and visual studio studio throws up a link error in
>> response.
> I think what Ray mainly wanted to say is that sftp basically works on
> Windows (and also on Windows 8).
> But these binaries are build with the MinGW compiler, and even if it
> might be possible to use the *.a libs (after converting to .lib) from
> MSVC it is not recommended; in general it is also not recommended to
> use MSVC pre-build binaries with MSVC unless you know exactly with
> which MSVC version + settings they were build.
> That means for you that you should build libcurl + any needed
> dependency libs with *your* MSVC version from scratch, and then build
> your example and link against your own created libs.
> For your use case you would have to build at least:
> OpenSSL
> libssh2 (linked against your OpenSSL version)
> libcurl (linked against your libssh2 version)

Yes, and I tried under Windows 8 x64 using pageant and it worked fine to
do a directory listing. The directions I followed to install freeSSHd
can be found at [1]. I installed it in a Windows 7 x64 VM.

How did you build libssh2 Daniel? There is a document on the curl
website for building OpenSSL, libssh2 and libcurl that can be found at
[2]. I have a build process that is more complicated if that doesn't
work. Please heed to Gün's advice and don't make .lib files from the .a
files.

[1]:
https://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ieduasst/v1r1m0/topic/com.ibm.iea.wpi_v6/wa/6.2/FTP/WBPMv62_IEA_AdapterInstallConfigureSSHServerLab.pdf?dmuid=20090217132204643973
[2]: