Multi interface and very fast transfers

From: Warren Menzer <wmenzer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 14:44:17 -0800

I have a question about the multi interface – I’m using the select() version, not multi_socket. Say I have a single easy handle added to the multi handle, and while curl_multi_perform is running I add a second easy handle to the multi handle from another thread. What I’m seeing is that as long as the first transfer continually has data to read from its socket, that transfer will be the only one performed, and the new transfer will not begin (and presumably any other transfers already attached to the multi handle will not be processed, either). I’m seeing this in the case where the first transfer is an HTTP GET to localhost, so the reason that there is always data to read is because it isn’t even really coming in over the physical network. If this first transfer is large (say, 1 GB), is this going to prevent any of the other transfers from making any progress? If so, is there anything I can do about it, short of pausing the large transfer periodically? Thanks in advance!