RE: Commit: b3875606925536f82fc61f3114ac42f29eaf6945

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 23:24:24 +0000

On Wed, 5 Nov 2014, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> > As such I need to fix up generate.bat as the few files that are
> > included from libcurl are currently hard coded in there (as I don't
> > parse the makefiles in this batch file as it is intended for use on
> > Windows when working directly from the repo).
>
> Yes, but I also don't think there are very many systems around today
> that lack strdup. I would guess that those that do exist all use configure
> to build.

Yep - I think you're probably right.

However, it is worth noting that the Visual Studio project file generators (both the git repo batch file and the make script version) don't just include the files that will only be compiled under Windows.

Whilst I appreciate the files themselves won't compile any code under Visual Studio, having both sets of files present in the tool project can be a bit misleading to anyone viewing the files - as such I have fixed generate.bat to take lib\strdup.[c|h] out. Obviously strdup.[c|h] still appear as files in the libcurl project file ;-)

> > Should the new Curl_memdup() function be located in a new
> > curl_memdup.c|h (like curl_memchr.c|h) or even curl_memory.c instead
> > rather than having two versions of the strdup() function?
>
> I don't think so.

Fair enough - it seems a little strange to me and in my opinion a little misleading to a certain degree to have the Curl_memdup() function in a source file that begins str - even though it is closely related to the strdup() function ;-)

Kind Regards

Steve