Compiling curl with GSS-API on Centos 5 x64

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 00:03:29 +0000

Hi all,

As most of you know, for my sins, I'm a Windows programmer and do most of my
curl development on said platform.

However, every now and again I need to build on Linux to test a small change
- As such I have a Linux VM (which I didn't set up so please bear with me).

I'm trying to compile curl again a GSS-API library and have the MIT Kerberos
v1.6.1 rpm installed.

When I run configure, such as the following:

./configure --enable-debug --enable-maintainer-mode --with-gssapi

I get the following error message:

configure: error: one or more libs available at link-time are not available
run-time. Libs used at link-time: -lgssapi -lldap -lz -lrt

I tied --disable-ldap but then I get the same error message just without
-lldap :-P

From the output I see:

checking if GSS-API support is requested... yes
checking gss.h usability... no
checking gss.h presence... no
checking for gss.h... no
checking gssapi/gssapi.h usability... yes
checking gssapi/gssapi.h presence... yes
checking for gssapi/gssapi.h... yes
checking for gssapi/gssapi_generic.h... yes
checking for gssapi/gssapi_krb5.h... yes
checking if GSS-API headers declare GSS_C_NT_HOSTBASED_SERVICE... yes
checking whether to enable Windows native SSL/TLS (Windows native builds
only)... no
checking whether to enable iOS/Mac OS X native SSL/TLS... no
checking for openssl options with pkg-config... found
configure: pkg-config: SSL_LIBS: "-lssl -lcrypto -ldl -lz "
configure: pkg-config: SSL_LDFLAGS: "-L/usr/kerberos/lib64 "
configure: pkg-config: SSL_CPPFLAGS: "-I/usr/kerberos/include "

I don't know if this is relevant but I don't have a /usr/kerberos/lib64
directory as shown in the above SSL_LDFLAGS. I do have the /usr/kerberos
directory but in there is:

bin man sbin share

However, I do have some gssapi files in my /usr/lib64 directory so I tried:

./configure --enable-debug --enable-maintainer-mode
--with-gssapi-libs=/usr/lib64

Still the same error message.

I then noticed that libgssapi.so isn't there but instead libgssapi_krb5.so.

As such I modified the various references in configure.ac from -lgssapi to
-lgssapi_krb5, like the darwin host detection, but still no joy.

I know this may not be strictly speaking curl related - but I have a couple
of NTLM changes to push and then I'm moving onto my next step of adding
Kerberos V5 authentication to the email protocols (using GSS-API rather than
it being a Windows SSPI only feature) ;-) In the meantime I am trying to get
my build environment up and running.

Kind Regards

Steve