Re: Cannot get curllib to work with Visual C++ 11

From: David Chapman <dcchapman_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:44:43 -0800

On 11/25/2014 10:40 AM, Jon wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I downloaded the code from the curllib site which I believe included
> the project, and compiled it in VC 11. I set error checking to L2 and
> it built completely clean. I then tried to build a .dll and I received
> a whole bunch of errors which I haven’t yet tried to resolve.
>
> I matched many of the conventions (i.e. project properties menu) but I
> haven’t yet done a clean sweep of all conventions to match against
> what I have in my application. I’m thinking now that this should be my
> next step.
>
> May sound like a silly question, but do I need both the libcurl.lib
> and libcurl.dll files or can I get away with just libcurl.lib?

Perhaps the project file for the DLL is out of date relative to the
makefiles (missing header file, for example, or #define difference).
Since I don't build from project files I can't help, sorry.

Use of a DLL (on Linux, a .so file) vs. a static linked library is one
of preference.

A DLL can be updated independently of the application, assuming certain
conditions are met (i.e. no existing function interface signatures
change). With multiple packages incorporated in your application, this
can greatly reduce your update overhead. On the other hand, an update
that you don't control can break your critical application at an
inopportune time if there are incompatibilities or bugs.

I tend to use static linking so I can test the complete configuration
fully, control when updates occur, and reduce installation overhead
(especially when it is deployed to bare-metal Linux cloud servers).
This does require a little more work on my part to gather everything
together.

If you are willing to respin your application when libcurl updates
occur, then by all means use the .lib file you have built.

--
     David Chapman      dcchapman_at_acm.org
     Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA