RE: vtls as a separate library?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 17:21:35 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 6 Feb 2015, Patrick Monnerat wrote:

> - Dependence on a specific "3rd party" library (as vtls would be considered
> if unbundled) for a feature as essential as TLS is MUCH penalizing on an OS
> like OS/400 (and probably others), because no "system standard location"
> exists for such libraries (i.e.: system standard location is reserved for
> IBM-provided libraries). As an example, there is neither cares nor libssh2
> for OS/400.

Thanks Patrick for your valuable input on this.

My intention here is to properly see what we can do and what's possible. I
don't want to harm libcurl with this so everythin done with vtls needs to be
done so that very little extra will be necessary for us to use it. If that
objective fails, a separate vtls simply won't be used by libcurl.

Also to address your concerns about a 3rd party library, I could very well
imagine vtls to be like glib or to offer glib-like properties, where you
actually incorporate/copy the files into your project and build with them so
they never appear as a 3rd party library. I'm not saying it will end up like
that, but it would be one way to handle such a concern.