Re: [bagder/curl] d771b4: openssl: Disable OCSP in old versions of OpenSSL

From: Alessandro Ghedini <alessandro_at_ghedini.me>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:10:59 +0100

On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 09:18:21PM +0000, Steve Holme wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2015, GitHub wrote:
>
> > openssl: Disable OCSP in old versions of OpenSSL
> >
> > Versions of OpenSSL prior to v0.9.8h do not support the necessary
> > functions for OCSP stapling.
>
> As most of you know... I am predominately a Windows developer - although I do have a CentOS 5 VM that I use for compiling curl under Linux with, for example, doing the GSS-API work I did before Christmas and double checking authentication bugs / fixes across the two platforms.
>
> Over the weekend I came to build curl on Centos and found that it didn't build against the build in version of OpenSSL (v0.9.8b) :(
>
> I appreciate this is a fairly old version but given we support 0.9.7+ (according to our docs) I decided to do some digging around and try and fix this.
>
> Anyway, I found that the OCSP stapling functions we use were added to openssl/ssl/tls1.h in 0.9.8h.
>
> I couldn't find this in any documentation but instead had to look at the header files - given that I have pushed a fix to enable building on my platform, would someone with more experience in this area please double check my findings.

Looks good to me. It's pretty much what my patch [0] did, except that I used
0x0090807f instead of 0x0090808f by mistake.

> Additionally, I was wondering should I be using HAVE_BORINGSSL or OPENSSL_IS_BORINGSSL in some of my pre-processor checks - or doesn't that matter?

It seems to me that they are the same thing, except that HAVE_BORINGSSL can be
used outside of openssl.c (and it's generally more used). I haven't tried
boringssl though, so I could be wrong.

Cheers

[0] http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2015-01/0175.html