A case for a branch and follow-up release?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 10:19:28 +0200 (CEST)

Hey all,

We released 7.42.0 roughly 24 hours ago. Things that have happened since:

1. A build problem with debug enbabled.
    Fix: https://github.com/bagder/curl/commit/1fd33e3e

2. A build problem with built without SSL.
    Fix: https://github.com/bagder/curl/commit/85c45d15 (almost, that commit is
    a follow-up to the previous one so in reality you're better off applying
    both)

3. A security issue was posted public in our bug tracker. This particular
    issue was alredy known to us and we were working in private to announce an
    advisory and fix in the next release.

I'm now soliciting comments and ideas.

I'm leaning towards the first ever branched release of curl/libcurl: to branch
off from the 7.42.0 point and only cherry-pick the fixes for the two build
problems and this pending security fix, and then do a 7.42.1 release. Like in
a week or so.

The primary reason for the branching off is that we're already merging new
features into the repo and I don't feel confident enough that we have worked
off the rough edges on those already.

Good idea? Bad idea? Other considerations?