Re: [RFC] zsh completion for curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 11:22:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 7 May 2015, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:

> I wrote a script that parses curl --help output and generates a zsh completion
> file. Once curl is built one can run "./zsh.pl src/curl > _curl" and then move
> the _curl file under "/usr/share/zsh/site-completions/" and restart a shell.
>
> Then "curl TAB", "curl -TAB", "curl --TAB", ... should provide help text and
> information on the available options.

Lovely! I'll merge that one asap.

> The first attached patch fixes the format of the --help output

We should write up a test that verifies that we maintain the correct syntax in
the help output, so that we know scripts such as yours will keep working.

Perhaps even provide more meta-data? I checked the
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/curl file in Debian. It is hand-coded
(for all I can tell) but also does rather fancy things for some of the
options...

> It is not run as part of the build process right now, but I think it'd be
> nice to add a configure option to build and install the completion file.

I'm all for that. I would prefer to not have the new script in the root dir
though...