Re: Detecting HP native C compiler on HP-UX

From: DmiTriy Fedchenko <xfedch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 21:15:53 +0300

> On Fri, 22 May 2015, DmiTriy Fedchenko wrote:
>
> Excuse me for late response. Please find in attachment unified
>> patch (generated by command diff -u) for today's matser
>>

> Thanks!
>
> If find it very interesting that the compiler can somehow be told to not
> use the define that identifies it as what it is. The "hpux" one you now use
> isn't really identifying the compiler, it just says that the compiler runs
> on HPUX which isn't the same thing.
>
> See https://sourceforge.net/p/predef/wiki/Compilers/ and scroll down to
> "HP ANSI C". That __HP_cc define is the only known way we have to detect
> that compiler. Or _had_, since we now learn that it isn't working very
> reliably.
>
> Any chance you can run this "defines" script and see what it outputs ?
> http://predef.sourceforge.net/defines.txt
>
> --
>
> / daniel.haxx.se

Daniel, the main thing is that in order to determine what kind of C
compiler we are running, cURL is using C preprocessor. HP-UX native C
compiler has define __HP_cc but for my project which is depending of cURL I
have to use native C preprocessor which do not emit this define and I think
it make some sense. May be it is better to force configure script to run C
compiler in preprocessor mode or even better to run C compiler itself?
Please find in attachement output of defines script.

Cheers, Dmitriy