Re: Question regarding multiple IMAP operations

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 21:24:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 27 May 2015, Adam wrote:

> Ray, I've actually written C89 code to parse IMAP responses. libcurl IMAP is
> indeed garbage, because the only thing it does for you that a straight
> socket doesn't is encryption

... and an non-blocking IMAP command/response state machine with a stable API
that allows you to do IMAP communication with any number of IMAP servers in
parallel...

> So as soon as I remove these crashes I will post my code to hopefully make
> it a bit more of a complete IMAP library.

That'd be awesome!

> Let's say I want first list folders, the default, then 1 second later I
> want to "EXAMINE OUTBOX", then 1 second later I want to read first message
> ""imap://imap.example.com/INBOX/;UID=1" There are no code samples showing
> how to do multiple requests like this.

Re-use the handle, use the easy interface and just issue one request at a
time. If you're fine with them being done in serial.

> Would something like this be the correct way? Or is this what the multi_
> function families are for?

multi is for non-blocking operations or several simultaneous ones.

[code cut off]

Looks perfectly reasonable from a quick glance!