Amazon announced a TLS abstraction library called s2n

From: Marc Hörsken <info_at_marc-hoersken.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 22:46:12 +0200

Hello everyone,

just a quick heads up that Amazon announced a TLS abstraction library called s2n:
http://blogs.aws.amazon.com/security/post/TxCKZM94ST1S6Y/Introducing-s2n-a-New-Open-Source-TLS-Implementation <http://blogs.aws.amazon.com/security/post/TxCKZM94ST1S6Y/Introducing-s2n-a-New-Open-Source-TLS-Implementation>
https://github.com/awslabs/s2n <https://github.com/awslabs/s2n>

The TLS implementation is contained within s2n, but for the base crypto stuff it links to several crypto libraries, like OpenSSL, LibreSSL, BoringSSL, and the Apple Common Crypto framework.

This reminds me a lot about our vtls efforts, even though those were at a slightly different level of abstraction. For example s2n also supports server-side TLS and has it’s own TLS implementation instead of using that of the underlying crypto library.

Windows CryptoAPI or Windows Cryptography API: Next Generation (CNG) support is currently missing.

Maybe curl or vtls can make use of those s2n efforts baked/supported by Amazon? I think that supporting s2n as an additional TLS backend could be a first step.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Marc