Re: CURLINFO_TLS_SESSION with OPENSSL returns SSL_CTX instead of SSL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 12:32:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015, Ray Satiro via curl-library wrote:

> I don't know why the SSL object isn't exposed. It's been proposed before, I
> don't remember what happened.

(Not that I think it really matters WHY we did things the way we did in the
past but the question should rather be what do we do now to make it better
going forward, but I'll still bite and elaborate.)

It has a plain and simple explanation (and this goes pretty much for why _any_
feature in libcurl works the way it does): when we introduced this feature a
patch was provided and discussed and then eventually we ended up merging that
code with the provided functionality.

Nobody at the time objected or said we provided the wrong pointer or that we
should provide another pointer too. So we did what was suggested. To me
personally it also made some sort of sense since it is the same pointer we
already provide in the SSL callback.

This is how everything is done in our project: we bring the idea, patch, bug
fix, feature or crazy thought here to the list and everyone and anyone who
thinks anything about it gets to state their opinion and then we try to steer
in some direction based on what the discussion gave. And then we iterate over
things so we can ALWAYS bring back a subject for another round.

Should we consider providing another pointer for the OpenSSL backend? Sure,
I'm open for discussions and solutions!