Re: CURLINFO_TLS_SESSION with OPENSSL returns SSL_CTX instead of SSL

From: Ray Satiro via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 20:15:47 -0400

On 9/30/2015 6:32 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2015, Ray Satiro via curl-library wrote:
>
>> I don't know why the SSL object isn't exposed. It's been proposed
>> before, I don't remember what happened.
>
> (Not that I think it really matters WHY we did things the way we did
> in the past but the question should rather be what do we do now to
> make it better going forward, but I'll still bite and elaborate.)
>
> It has a plain and simple explanation (and this goes pretty much for
> why _any_ feature in libcurl works the way it does): when we
> introduced this feature a patch was provided and discussed and then
> eventually we ended up merging that code with the provided functionality.
>
> Nobody at the time objected or said we provided the wrong pointer or
> that we should provide another pointer too. So we did what was
> suggested. To me personally it also made some sort of sense since it
> is the same pointer we already provide in the SSL callback.

I wasn't baiting you :) I disagree. Maybe there was a really good reason
at the time why it shouldn't be exposed. I couldn't find any. I used my
awesome search powers to discover we talked about it earlier this year
[1] but it didn't go anywhere.

I started a draft [2] of CURLINFO_TLS_SSL_PTR to get the active SSL
object for all SSL backends. In the case of DarwinSSL and WinSSL it
appears the CTX is the SSL object, please correct me if this is wrong.
Just written not built, I could use some feedback.

[1]: http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2015-04/0154.html
[2]:
https://github.com/jay/curl/compare/master...jay:curlinfo_tls_ssl_ptr?expand=1