Re: curl_multi_info_read() returning result of CURLE_RECV_ERROR

From: KS Lee <kslee_at_soft-skills.com.my>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 13:06:11 +0800

Hello Daniel

We're re-ran the tests after upgrading our code to use libcurl to 7.44 and
OpenSSL 1.0.2d. Same error, CURLE_RECV_ERROR, connection is closed after
receiving a few frames from the peer.

*> *
> *> *> libcurl/7.44.0 OpenSSL/0.9.8k zlib/1.2.8 * *
> *> *
> *> This OpenSSL version is fairly old (March 2009) and it could be worth *
> *> trying a *
> *> more modern version before putting a lot of efforts into this. *
> *> *
> *​Yes, we have cut a version with OpenSSL 1.0.2d. Will be retesting
> tomorrow.*
> * ​*
>
> *> *> THEN ERROR HERE >>>> SSL read: *
> *> error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0), * *
> *> *
> *> Based on this, I would suspect something fishy on the TLS or TCP
> layer. *
> *> Using *
> *> wireshark to check out the TCP traffic on the last parts of the *
> *> communication *
> *> could at least rule that out. *
> *> *
> *> Also, can you do _other_ HTTPS requests successfully against this site?
> I *
> *> mean *
> *> doing a simple GET or something on another URL? Could make an easier
> test *
> *> and *
> *> debug case. *
> *> *
> ​
> *Just prior to this, there was another SSL-based POST/GET to authenticate
> user credentials. And that worked fine. The user was logged in OK without
> any errors.*

To summarise, when connecting to the peer via firewall, seems like the peer
is closing the connection after sending a few frames of messages to us.

Libcurl with OpenSSL 0.9.8k - error if not run through a proxy
Libcurl with OpenSSL 1.0.2d - error if not run through a proxy

Libcurl with OpenSSL 0.9.8k - no error if run through a proxy
Libcurl with OpenSSL 1.0.2d - no error if run through a proxy

But when we add a proxy and then onto the firewall, the connection works
fine. Messages get exchanged without any errors.

Does this look like an OpenSSL error? Am wondering why the presence of a
proxy is significant in this situation?

Any help is appreciated.

Kind regards
KS