Re: Problem with include files - 32-bit and 64-bit modes are not supported in a "single-set of include files"

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 22:58:32 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015, aixtools wrote:

(let's keep this in curl-library since it concerns the library)

> During a build of curl-7.45 (and I expect earlier versions) - when the
> target is a 32-bit build (on AIX) - sizeof(long) == 4, but on a 64-bit build
> sizeof(long) == 8.

(This has been the case since libcurl 7.19.0.)

The solution people have used ever since to produce headers that can be used
dynamically for either 32 bit or 64 bit builds is this:

1. generate a build for 32 bit, rename the curlbuild.h header
2. generate a build for 64 bit, rename the curlbuild.h header
3. make a custom small curlbuild.h version that checks if you build 32 bit or
    64 bit and then includes the "proper" renamed version of the generated
    header
4. profit!

If someone has a good idea of how to tweak libcurl to make this process easier
or more streamlined in any way, please let me know.