Re: Problem with include files - 32-bit and 64-bit modes are not supported in a "single-set of include files"

From: Michael Felt <aixtools_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 07:38:46 +0100

On 2015-11-23 22:58, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2015, aixtools wrote:
>
> (let's keep this in curl-library since it concerns the library)
>
>> During a build of curl-7.45 (and I expect earlier versions) - when
>> the target is a 32-bit build (on AIX) - sizeof(long) == 4, but on a
>> 64-bit build sizeof(long) == 8.
>
> (This has been the case since libcurl 7.19.0.)
>
> The solution people have used ever since to produce headers that can
> be used dynamically for either 32 bit or 64 bit builds is this:
>
> 1. generate a build for 32 bit, rename the curlbuild.h header
> 2. generate a build for 64 bit, rename the curlbuild.h header
> 3. make a custom small curlbuild.h version that checks if you build 32
> bit or
> 64 bit and then includes the "proper" renamed version of the generated
> header
> 4. profit!
>
> If someone has a good idea of how to tweak libcurl to make this
> process easier or more streamlined in any way, please let me know.

I have not been concerned with things like this for a long long time.
The obvious solution path, imho, would be to not make myself dependent
on the sizeof(long) - as this is variable. The struct could always be a
typedef as "long l;ong" - which at least until know has been 8 bytes in
both 32 and 64 bit. Thus might even be a union if that makes code more
readable. But rather than having a dependancy in the include file that
cannot be modified with a compiler flag (e.g., -maix64/-maix32 and/or
-q64/-q32 for the AIX compilers I know) - and, if really necessary have
something in the code that does something differently if the size of
long changes.

As I have no knowledge of "internal" knowledge of curl I have no idea
how complex or simple this may be (i.e., how often data structs
dependent on this "define" depend.), but, obviously - as is, a 32-bit
curl-linked program cannot exchange information with a 64-bit
curl-linked program - should there ever be a case where curl is the
interface sharing data in some way.