Re: help using Curl through Vagrant

From: Ray Satiro via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 00:18:35 -0500

On 1/2/2016 8:43 PM, Barry wrote:
> I couldn't get it to work exactly as you specified, but I managed to
> figure out the following commands:
>
> PS C:\HashiCorp\Vagrant\embedded\bin> curl -Verbose
> cmdlet Invoke-WebRequest at command pipeline position 1
> Supply values for the following parameters:
> Uri: https://atlas.hashicorp.com/data-science-toolbox/dst
> VERBOSE: GET https://atlas.hashicorp.com/data-science-toolbox/dst with
> 0-byte payload
> VERBOSE: received -1-byte response of content type text/html;
> charset=utf-8

I've never seen curl output like that before. I don't like it. Microsoft
has added curl and wget as aliases for Invoke-WebRequest in Powershell 5
(unclear about 4). They already used iwr as an alias, that should have
been enough. Somehow I missed the news on this. [1]

So what you're seeing isn't curl output. Powershell isn't really running
curl, it's running it's own web requester. You should be able to run the
real curl in Powershell if it's in the current directory by prefixing it
with .\ like this:

.\curl -V

If you want to run it in Powershell using the path use & to execute it
like this:

& "C:\HashiCorp\Vagrant\embedded\bin\curl.exe" -v --cacert
"C:\HashiCorp\Vagrant\embedded\cacert.pem"
"https://atlas.hashicorp.com/data-science-toolbox/dst"

Please compare the file versions as I mentioned in my last reply. If
they are not the same you will need to fix that (probably by
reinstalling Vagrant 1.8.1).

[1]: https://plus.google.com/+DanielStenberg/posts/UGqEw6uMbo9

> PS C:\HashiCorp\Vagrant\embedded\bin> vagrant up
> C:\HashiCorp\Vagrant\embedded\cacert.pem
> vagrant : The machine with the name
> 'C:\HashiCorp\Vagrant\embedded\cacert.pem' was not found configured for
> At line:1 char:1
> + vagrant up C:\HashiCorp\Vagrant\embedded\cacert.pem
> + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (The machine wit...
> configured for:String) [], RemoteException
> + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError
>
> this Vagrant environment.
>
> Now what do I do?
>
> Should I indeed be using PowerShell? Or should I open a VM manually in
> VirtualBox? (I've never used a VM before, so I'd be learning how from
> scratch.)

Those questions are outside the scope of this mailing list. Strictly
speaking this mailing list is for libcurl, the library the curl tool
uses. Though an occasional curl tool question will come in and someone
may answer it. For future curl questions please post to curl-users [2]
and for vagrant post to their mailing list [3].

Since I'm writing though I will tell you the problem with the command
you are using is that you are specifying the certificate file as the
machine you want to start which doesn't make any sense. Also, I use
vagrant from the Windows command prompt and it works fine. You may want
to try that instead of Powershell. To get it running should be as simple as:

mkdir dst
cd dst
vagrant init data-science-toolbox/dst
vagrant up