Re: OpenVMS changes needed for Curl 7.46 release

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 10:04:35 +0100

On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 10:55:00PM -0600, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> On 1/4/2016 1:51 PM, Dan Fandrich wrote:
> >On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 07:46:07AM -0600, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> >>Some minor patches needed to build Curl 7.46 on OpenVMS.
> >>
> >>Tested on OpenVMS/VAX 7.3, OpenVMS/Alpha 8.3/8.4, OpenVMS/IA64 8.4.
> >>
> >Note that this file name contain "83" (presumably VMS 8.3) while the directory contains
> >"84". Is that deliberate?
>
> Yes, the VMS 8.3 kit works on VMS 8.4, so I only build it on a 8.3 system.
>
> Reworked the patch because it used OpenSSL code that requires the copyright
> text (longer than the procedure) to be included with it.
>
> The missing routine is now in its own file pulled directly from the OpenSSL
> git repository.

This isn't going to work. The license is incompatible with the GPL and other
licenses and puts restrictions on the source code even on users who aren't
using the OpenSSL back-end. If the code was ripped from OpenSSL to begin with
and not a clean-room reimplementation of the function, then the notice
definitely belongs there, but I'd be surprised if Daniel allows its inclusion
in libcurl.

>>> Dan