z/OS port

From: David Crayford <dcrayford_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 22:38:03 +0800

Hi curlers,

I'm planning on porting cURL to z/OS. It's been done by both IBM and
rocket but they didn't release their patch. Rocket acquired IBMs ported
tools and their credit
did release libcurl. My motivation is twofold. I want to be able to use
the GSKit SSL libraries and also do some extra code page conversions
depending on MIME types.
Right now curling application/json requires piping through iconv. I
think it's a fair assumption that json is always going to be text.

I'm lucky that there has been some very good done for an OS/400 port
which I hope to leverage. I'm sure that's what IBM did with their
original port.

I've done loads of open source ports to z/OS before so it should be
reasonably straight forward considering the work that has already been
done WRT code page conversions.
I'm not that great with the autoconf stuff so I will asking some daft
questions! It's a side project so real work comes first. I'll send the
patch for review when I'm done.

Cheers,
David