Does curl_easy_pause abort SSL handshake?

From: SellBuy Sammamish <sellbuysam_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 16:41:14 -0700

I use cURL to send HTTP/SSL packets using POST. Multipart is used to send
binary data. I have a read callback which obtains the data. The callback
pauses the connection by returning CURL_READFUNC_PAUSE when data is
temporarily unavailable. A progress callback then unpauses the connection
by calling curl_easy_pause(pCurl, CURLPAUSE_SEND_CONT) when data become
available.

Recently I noticed a significant delay during SSL handshake when multipart
is used. Although unconfirmed, I have a hunch that since my read callback
is probably called before the data is available, it pauses the connection,
thereby preventing SSL handshake from starting.

Is my suspicion (un-)founded? Can SSL negotiation be disrupted by pausing
the connection?

Thank you,
Igor.