Re: Page load time comparison between h1 and h2 using libcurl

From: Rajiullah Shammi <mrshammi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 14:20:52 +0200

Hi!

I can describe the whole test as follows:

1. For each test, I have 55 urls representing different objects in a real
page. You can find the urls and the object sizes here
https://github.com/timir007/h1-h2-comp-libcurl.git
2. libcurl version: curl-7.47.1, nghttp2/1.8.0-DEV. nghttpd for h2 server
with 150 maximum concurrent streams. ngnix for h1 server. I used the same
key and certificates for both
h1 and h2 cases
For h2
 nghttpd --htdocs=. --verbose --echo-upload --max-concurrent-streams=150
8000 key.pem cert.pem
for h1 (https) in server block
$ sudo vim /etc/nginx/sites-available/default
server {
        listen 80 default_server;
        listen [::]:80 default_server ipv6only=on;
        listen 443 ssl;
        listen [::]:443 ipv6only=on ssl;

        root /usr/share/nginx/html;
        index index.html index.htm;

        # Make site accessible from http://localhost/
        server_name localhost;

           # Enable SSL
    ssl_certificate /home/xx/cert.pem;
    ssl_certificate_key /home/xx/key.pem;
    ssl_session_timeout 5m;
    ssl_protocols TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2;
    ssl_ciphers ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv3:+EXP;
    ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;

3. I have both h1 and h2 servers running Linux ubuntu 14.04 in a virtual
machine. I put some delay in the server interface using netem to create a
10 ms RTT. I had my client attached to an 100 Mbps Ethernet. I haven’t
observed in loss in the TCP level.

4. I have also put the client code in the github (linked mentioned above)

Please let me know if I have missed something. Thanks.

BR
Mohd. Rajiullah